Top 50 Free Online Dating Sites to Find a Date (or Soulmate)
November 3, 2008
Imagine that the economy is squeezing your wallet, and the possibility for dates in your area are slim to none. That wouldn’t take much imagination, right? What do you do in this situation if you want to find that perfect someone to share your life? One answer is to find a free online dating service, or a service that offers free options to meet other like-minded individuals.
The following sites are up your alley, as the first group are totally free, and the other sites offer free trials, free basic memberships or free options to meet people through specific formats. Since you have a choice among fifty sites, we hope that you’ll find a venue that suits your needs. Time is all you need — along with a little charm, a great photo and a willingness to be patient in your quest to find your soulmate.
We don’t favor one site over another; therefore, the sites below are listed in alphabetical order under each category.
We thoroughly combed through these sites to find a catch — and none was found. The sites listed below offer totally free formats for individuals who want to meet other people. Some sites offer more formats for conversation, and some are easier to use than others. It’s up to you to find a site that suits your personality and desires.
- ABmatch.com: This site offers free online dating, with features such as Instant Messenger, chat rooms, forums, email, horoscope, “matchfinder” and privacy control. Register free and start your relationship search immediately.
- DateHookup.com: DateHookup.com is a 100% free online dating site. Chat, email, talk in their forums and get date ideas. It’s all safe, fun, and free.
- BookofMatches: BookofMatches is a totally free online dating, personals and friendship community for adults. This site combines the ideas of open chatting and self expression for like minded friends and singles looking for dates, and you never need to pull out your credit card.
- Cupid Calls: This UK dating site provides a safe, highly confidential environment where disabled people from all walks of life can meet to find friendship and love (but, this site is not limited to disabled individuals). Currently all memberships are free, meaning you register to create a profile and contact other users.
- CyberDating.net: As the site states, “If someone asks for your money, it’s not the Official CyberDating website!” Advertisers cover their expenses, which means users have unrestricted free access to their singles’ ads with no credit card required.
- Connecting Singles: Connecting Singles is a totally free-to-use online dating service for singles. All features, including searches, forums, blogs, polls, chats, videos and more on Connecting Singles are without charges, fees, credits, coupons or surprises.
- Dating ‘n More: Dating ‘n More offers free dating and dating services with free personal ads as well as dating forum for singles who wish to make friends and meet other singles online for serious relationships, casual relationship, flirting, friendships, e-mail, romance, love and even marriage.
- DatingHall: Browse through photos and profiles through a qualifying search feature without registering. But, if you want to contact someone, you need to register first. You also can post a customized profile with a photo and maintain unlimited free contact with all DatingHall members once your register.
- Datopia: Jump into the dating pool through Datopia, where you can create a free profile with photo and begin communicating with other singles immediately. You can contact other members anonymously through email or through online text/audio/video chat free of charge.
- ezdate123: Never pay for romance, friendships or relationships ever again. You’ll find 100% free dating at ezdate123, where you can create a profile, search for people and join in chat rooms without charge.
- I Flirt You: This site is totally free, and you can meet people for all types of relationships through an onsite mail system, chat rooms and instant messenger. Connections are international, or you can limit yourself to find that special girl or guy next door.
- IamFreeTonight: This is a 100% free online dating service that enables you to meet tons of single face-to-face. Their exclusive “Date Now!” and “Double Dating” features can land you a date by this evening!
- JackfoundJill: Join this brand-new dating site to find the partner of your dreams. The focus here is on American users only, so international dating is not available. But, you can enjoy meeting folks in your area or across the nation through profiles, photos and more as you get in on the bottom floor for free.
- JumpDates: JumpDates offers 100% free online dating services, including personals, matchmaking, full editing of your profile after registration, advanced messaging system, and a search and save feature.
- Lets101: Lets101 not only is free, but they continuously work to help you find the right date through their powerful personality matching programs, expert advice, email introductions and phone and chat facilitations.
- Love.org: Feel free to contact others, send and receive messages, post a profile, search through hundreds of profiles and rate members — all for free. You must register before you can begin to use their services, so no peeking allowed.
- Mingle2: A couple of guys from San Francisco maintain this totally free dating site. Instead of using matchmaking software, you decide who your ideal match should be through forums, chats, easy-to-use search features and countless other ways to meet others.
- Mingles: Enjoy a free site with built-in anti-spamming controls, unlimited photos, easy group creation and blogging tools and video chat and instant messaging. You even can add a video message to your profile!
- My Happy Date: Enjoy free Internet dating at My Happy Date, a site that began as 100% free and continues this service today. You can use Instant Messenger for contact, upload a profile and photo, and utilize My Happy Date’s special “My Matches” profile matching service.
- OkCupid: OkCupid is a truly free online dating site, and it’s powered by a matching system you invent. Over three million photos have been uploaded, and you can join in on a free forum and take several dating and relationship tests.
- Plentyoffish.com: With over 10 million members and free membership and use, it’s easy to see why Plentyoffish is the premier online dating website for finding love. Some features include free personality tests, a free instant messenger service and private chat, weekly matches sent to your email, thousands of local personal ads, advanced search options, singles events and parties organized by Plenty of fish members in your area.
- Senior Passions: If you’re a senior looking for love, companionship or new friends, this site offers free chat, message boards and email. This is a 100% free community designed for senior users to enjoy life at its fullest.
- SimpleDating: No matter if you want to date or simply looking for a way to expand a circle of friends in your area, SimpleDating has a venue for you. When you click on a profile, you can learn about that person. If you want to contact them, however, you need to visit the original site where the profile is hosted. These sites may or may not be free.
- SocialGrid: SocialGrid is a free online dating service and decentralized social networking community that helps people meet using tags. Features include free contact, detailed searches, no profile required, free mail forwarding, member blocking and a strict spam policy.
- Webdate.com: Absolutely no credit card is required for users to begin to meet other people for relationship possibilities. Webdate is the fastest growing online personals, because you can use real time video chat to check another person in your area before you meet.
Free Basic Memberships
If you believe that you pay for quality, then this list is the next step in the free online dating market. You can join these sites for free, but you must pay to gain access to some features. Each site is different, and it doesn’t hurt to try them out to see if you want to pay for that extra commitment.
- AbleDating 2.4: This site caters to adults who are seeking a serious and long-lasting relationship. Free memberships include the ability to create a profile, upload a photo, search the member database and show interest in other members. If you like what you see, upgrade your membership at any time so you can chat and send emails.
- AmericanSingles: You can meet millions of members from all walks of life, backgrounds, professions and ages at this dating site. Join and create a free profile, post up to four photos, and browse through possible matches. Upgrade at any time to access email, instant messaging and real-time chat.
- Date.com: Create your free profile, browse the site, show interest in other members all for free. When you decide that you’re ready for more personal contact, you can upgrade to a Gold Membership to communicate with millions of members via IM, email or chat.
- DreamMates: Sign up at this dating service, and you can upload a profile and photo, express interest in another person and reply to messages. Upgrade at any time to Premium Membership, which entitles you to special benefits such as customizable content messages, Instant Messenger usage and other benefits.
- JRetroMatch: JRetroMatch is online Jewish dating service where expert Jewish matchmakers assist Jewish singles with finding love and meaningful relationships. You can try this site through a free basic membership, where you input a limited profile, sidestep the personal matchmaker, and limit your participation to a maximum of one match per week. You can upgrade your membership at any time.
- LavaLife: Free registration allows users to create a profile, sign up to one of three communities, browse personals and hand out “smiles” as contacts. But, an upgrade allows users to attain access to even more features. Give the free round a shot to see if you’re comfortable with this dating service.
- Matchmaker: Join this dating service for free and you’ll be able to browse all profiles and photos on this site. You also can build a free profile and you can receive email from other members. This should give you enough of a taste of this site to learn whether or not you want to upgrade your membership.
- Perfectmatch: Become part of the Perfectmatch.com for free as a basic member. Once you register, you’ll find many useful features and tests, all designed to help you make those first steps in the dating process. Once you feel that this is the dating service for you, you can upgrade your membership.
- PlentyMoreFish: Registration is and “always will be 100% free” at this UK dating site. With a basic membership, you can create a profile and upload a photo and send as many people a “wink” as you want. When you upgrade, you can view and upload multiple photos, use their full advanced search, use instant chat and much more.
- SinglesSingles: You can try a new way of dating through compatibility merits and not on dating preferences alone. Curious? Join now and enjoy a free basic membership for life, with the ability to upgrade anytime.
Free Trial Sites
The following sites usually require payment for registration and use, but they’ve offered new members a chance to try the sites with a trial membership. Be careful, as those trial periods seem to end faster than they started, and your credit card will feel the punch. For your protection, be sure to read all the fine print before you register and provide the sites with your credit card. With that said, you may find the love of your life at one of these sites, so give it a go!
- Adam Meet Eve: Enjoy a hefty ten-day trial with this dating service that focuses on Christian relationships and ‘love connections.’ This site is for marriage-minded men and women, and features include chat, private introductions, personal ads and more.
- Christian Singles Dating: If you’re looking for a mate who shares similar values, you can try this Christian dating site free for two weeks. Plus, this site offers plans based on your ability to pay, rather than a flat-based fee when your free trial expires.
- ChristianCafe: Create your free trial profile and browse thousands of profiles of other Christian singles. ChristianCafe’s free trial includes posting a profile and communicating with other singles using email, winks or quick messaging.
- Easyflirt: When you sign up with Easyflirt, you’re given points that you can use toward Easyflirt’s services. You can use those points to meet and chat with people online, so this is a great opportunity to discover whether Easyflirt is the dating service for you.
- eHarmony: It’s free to register, and new registrants can take the questionnaire review your first 25 matches at no charge.
- FriendFinder: Join for free to begin browsing through over one million online profiles, photos and videos. Create your own profile as well. Your free membership does not expire so you can browse at your heart’s content until you decide you’re ready to communicate with your interests.
- JewishCafe: If you’re seeking someone who shares your background and values, JewishCafe provides a community where you can meet companions, friends, dates, or a soulmate in a safe environment. This site provides a full two-week no-obligation trial so you can discover whether this dating site is for you.
- Match.com: This is a free trial offer by Match.com to try their dating services for seven days without charge. You will have access to all of Match.com’s services, and if you don’t cancel within seven days, you’ll be charged for full services at the end of the trial period.
- Singlesnet: Join Singlesnet today for a limited-time free trial offer. You can contact members receive, read and reply to emails from members, create a personality profile and use their compatibility matching technology. No credit card required.
- Yahoo! Personals: Yahoo! provides a premier dating service with millions of members. While the service is not free, they provide a seven-day trial period on any dating plan. Use this free trial to try out their powerful matching tools and dating categories.
The services below offer more or less than the full-service dating services listed above. Some sites offer more services through extra communication channels, and some sites offer a highly refined service or format that simplifies the “meet and greet” process for many individuals. Since they’re all free, there’s no sense in avoiding every free opportunity to find that dream date!
- Friendsation: Friendsation is a new social blogging network where people can meet on various levels. Friendsation members have the control to choose when and how they want to connect, whether it’s through live chat or Mobile device — for any kind of connection, whether it is friendship, dating or relationships — all for free.
- Passions Network: Join this online dating niche social network for free and enjoy over 110+ dating sites. Once you join, you can choose the sites that match your interests. Enjoy free photo personals and singles’ chats, message boards and email.
- SocialBang: SocialBang provides a virtual world where you can meet new friends and even play games and win prizes. You can gain access to a regular chat, dating chats and utilize a Facebook or MySpace chat application as well. All for free.
- SomeoneNew: Although this is a free dating site, SomeoneNew allows a special service that doesn’t lock you into their site. You can add your Skype, MSN Messenger, MSN Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk, AIM and ICQ details and, if you wish, you can share these details with other users all for free.
- True: You can find all types of chats here, from singles to teen to Latino, Black, parents, Christian and over 40. Lots of members use video chat, so not only can you type back and forth, but you can actually see who you are talking with — all for free.
If you enjoyed this post, consider